And when he was in distress, he entreated the favour of the LORD his God and humbled himself greatly before the God of his fathers. He prayed to him, and God was moved by his entreaty and heard his pleas and brought him again to Jerusalem into his kingdom. Then Manasseh knew that the LORD was God.
2 Chronicles 33:12-13
Manasseh was an evil man:
- ‘according to the abominations of the nations whom the LORD drove out, before the people of Israel’
- ‘Manasseh led Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem astray, to do more evil than the nations whom the LORD destroyed before the people of Israel’ – worse than the people God destroyed for their wickedness!
- he rebuilt the high places
- he erected altars to other gods and worshipped them
- he built altars in the house of the LORD!
- he burned his sons as an offering
- he put a carved image in the house of the LORD
And still God forgave him!
- He humbled himself before God and was forgiven and restored.
- God’s mercy is astounding!
- ‘He knew that the LORD was God.’